Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
I'm having a really strange issue after installing Tiger. When I run apps that use 3d graphics (ie Wow or the RSS screen saver) i hear this high pitched rhythmic noise. I opened up the case to try and pin point it and it seems its coming from around the CPU area (I have a dual 2.5 G5). I thought it may be a fan on the graphics card but the 9600xt doesn't have one. I dusted the fans and case just in case but it didn't help.

Is anyone else hearing this noise? It almost sounds like a small fan that is spinning a bit roughly. Are there any secondary fans inside the CPU area?

Update: I found a thread on the apple discussions with similar symptoms

JonD

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
The EXACT same thing has been happening to me in my dual 2 G5, also with the 9600. To fix the problem go into the System Prefs, select the "Processor" section, and uncheck the "Allow Nap" check button. I heard that Apple recommends for some reason that you don't do this, but that high pitched sound drove me insane.

I haven't heard it since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.