odd "home screen" bug

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elbirth, Jul 22, 2008.

1. elbirth macrumors 65816

Just wondering if anyone has happened to encounter this as well...

While I was at lunch today I used my iPhone 3G to show someone something on the web (using safari of course). I then hit the home button to get back to the home screen, then hit the sleep button. A little while later I pulled out my phone to show a picture I had taken yesterday in reference to a conversation that was going on and noticed that safari was up on screen. I hit the home button and safari's window did its little zoom out animation, but instead of showing the home screen, the phone app zoomed into view. Odd, so I hit the home button again and nothing happened. Wondering if it was frozen up, I tapped around the buttons in the phone app and it all worked fine (favorites, contacts, etc). so I clicked home again, still nothing. Put it to sleep, woke it up, still in the phone. held down the sleep/wake button, no option to turn it off. I finally held down both buttons to do a hard shutdown and restarted it, now it seems fine.

Found that to be pretty odd and have no idea what happened to cause it, as I know I was at the home screen before putting it to sleep and I was sitting still the whole time, so nothing in my pocket should have been going on....

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

i've had a couple of lock-ups (or apparent lock-ups when the phone hasn't done anything for a few seconds then tried to catch up), but haven't been able to pin it down to any specific cause.
    There are definitely some rough edges that need polishing, but I'm happy to put up with them for the real benefits the phone brings.

It's bit like how I got rid of Sky+ for a vastly inferior Virgin Media cable box that is about 1/4 of the speed and freezes pretty regularly because the TV and broadband service is better when it does work: If something is so much better than the opposition in one area you're more likely to forgive any little "quirks" in others :)

3. elbirth thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah, the phone is definitely worth the 2.0 firmware hiccups that should hopefully be worked out. Aside from apps causing the phone to crash, this is one of the very very few issues I've had with it.. just found it to be particularly strange since my home screen was basically gone