Odd iBook G4 behaviour...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by onkzzz, May 27, 2014.

1. onkzzz macrumors member

When I got my iBook G4 out of the closet after 2 years, it turned on after a full charge. It would not go to the option key boot menu or into open firmware, and there would be lines on the screen until booted into OS X. Then, after 3 hours of use, something magic happened. It fixed itself!
    It finally could boot into the boot drive select menu and into open firmware! And it stayed like that, until at night. For some odd reason, I decided to take out the battery overnight.
    And this morning, I put it back in. So, what happened? It went back to the "odd" state, like before the so called "magic" happened.
    So, I wanna know, what could cause this odd behaviour? I have reset the PMU and PRAM but it's still the same.

My theory: it only starts fully working when fairly warm. (remember, the magic happened after 3 hours of use)

-- onkzzz

----------

BTW - before the magic, it wouldn't boot unless in safe boot.
    After, it would fully boot with no safe boot.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try zapping the PRAM and resetting the PMU.

3. onkzzz thread starter macrumors member

^ Already tried, my friend. Its working now, and its warm. But I bet it'll do the same tomorrow...

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Could be parts on the logic board like caps or solder joint only working well when hot. That would explain the lines on the screen sadly. Though I have no clue on the boot menu problem.