odd imac question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by brentg33, Jun 17, 2011.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

I recieved my 27" i7 w/ssd on wed. Upon start up, i used migration assistant via ethernet from my mbp (running lastest SL). it went ok until the very end when i kept getting an error stating that the mbp was not responding or lost connection. i tried to fight thru that and pressed continue to see if i could get it done, but it kept on getting that error. I then hit cancel, and the imac hung at the cancelling migration screen for a while. I placed a call to apple, who told me to power the imac down via the power button. i did so, then upon start up, i noticed the welcome video had no sound and some of my user data from the mbp was there (as the ssd already had a few GB on it and it would not let me set up my username...same as the mbp) so i decided to use the OS X disc from the imac and disk utility to wipe the ssd and reformat. i then installed a fresh copy of OS X from the imac disk (but didnt install the 2nd disc ..applications/ilife...cause i would just be migrating all of that from my MBP) so....that all worked, ran migration assistant again (w/ firewire) and all went ok. The only odd issue is that i get a beachball when switching thru the headings in the network pref pane in system pref. I was just wondering if i did something wrong with all the above, or does that seem ok to have done?

thanks

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

My advice would be paragraphs.

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope this is better.....

I received my 27" i7 w/ssd on wed. Upon start up, i used migration assistant via ethernet from my mbp (running latest SL). it went ok until the very end when i kept getting an error stating that the mbp was not responding or lost connection. i tried to fight thru that and pressed continue to see if i could get it done, but it kept on getting that error. I then hit cancel, and the imac hung at the canceling migration screen for a while.

I placed a call to apple, who told me to power the imac down via the power button. i did so, then upon start up, i noticed the welcome video had no sound and some of my user data from the mbp was there (as the ssd already had a few GB on it and it would not let me set up my username...same as the mbp)

So i decided to use the OS X disc from the imac and disk utility to wipe the ssd and reformat. i then installed a fresh copy of OS X from the imac disk (but didn't install the 2nd disc ..applications/ilife...cause i would just be migrating all of that from my MBP) so....that all worked, ran migration assistant again (w/ firewire) and all went ok. The only odd issue is that i get a beach ball when switching thru the headings in the network pref pane in system pref. I was just wondering if i did something wrong with all the above, or does that seem ok to have done?

thanks