iPod Odd iPod Problem

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Here's one I haven't experienced before, and I've had quite a few. About a week ago I dropped my iPod in water (actually I jumped into a pool with all my clothes on, forgetting my iPod was in my back pocket :D :rolleyes: ). It didn't work for a few days and I was convinced it was dead, but then one day it suddenly came back to life.

Everything works fine, except that when I plug it into my G5, it doesn't recognise it at all. By this I mean the folloing: The iPod charges when it is plugges into the G5, but it doesn't appear in iTunes, nor on the desktop, and under iTunes > Preferences > iPod it says 'No iPod connected'.

I'm perplexed. Can anyone lend their expertise?

Thanks in advance,

SG.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Try the iPod Updater software. Quite often it'll find an iPod better than anything else. :)

Of course from there you'll need to restore it which'll lose all your music. :(

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Maybe something in the ipod got more permanently damaged than the equipment used to charge. Does it still play music? If not maybe your disk is history.

Edit: Oh wait, just read your post again and you said everything works fine. Then I'll just stick with the fact that something is more seriously damaged. Maybe part of the connector? Just a wild guess!

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks guys, I hope it's not anything more serious. I'll give the iPod Updater a go and report back.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
D'oh!

Had a similar experience with my iPod while engaging in an activity I like to call puddle-jumping.

One second, I had music. The next, nothing.

I looked down and there was my iPod in the puddle into which I had just jumped.

:eek:

Took it home. Popped it open and dried out the few drops of water that made their way inside the case.

All's been well since then, but there was a sense of dread. Though it will occasionally - and spontaneously - go into pause mode. Unsure of the connection, but that's been the only hiccup.

Best of luck with your iPod.