Odd issue with MagSafe charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by severage, Jul 18, 2014.

1. severage macrumors regular

Ok, not sure if this is common or not.

Sometimes when I plug the MagSafe charger into my Macbook, the light on the charger doesn't turn on. The thing is, the macbook says it is still charging, even with the charger light off.

Simply re plugging the charger in the macbook usually turns the light back on.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try cleaning the pins and MagSafe plug with some rubbing alcohol. If that does not resolve the problem, your MagSafe may be starting to die.

3. jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

Same thing happens with my 2012 (bought Jan. 2013) Macbook Pro 13" (non-Retina). If I simply unplug it and plug it back in, it lights up.

Never bothered cleaning it, but it happens with multiple MagSafe cables (all Apple of course), and does NOT happen with either charging cable with my 2013 rMBP... So I'd say it's the MagSafe port rather than the cable.

I don't think any components are dying, I'd go with the "clean the MagSafe port" suggestion as well.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

All my previous MacBook Pros have done it occasionally (2006/2008/2011). Nothing to worry about, just unplug it and plug it back in.

5. jg321 macrumors 6502

This. Have a few that seem to do it more than others but that could well be that I just haven't noticed it. Never actually caused a problem for me so far.

6. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

The LED is controlled by a small circuit inside the connector itself, and is not necessary for the charging system to work.

After the handshake has happened (or rather, once the MBP detects the type of charger that is attached) it sends back a status signal on the centre pin that says either "charging" "not charging, but plugged in" or some other signal and the circuit lights up the LED as necessary.

The actual power adapter itself (the white brick) does not communicate with this circuit at all.

7. severage thread starter macrumors regular