Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dc40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2014
So, I wanted to change the name of my home folder. I got a consultant on the phone from Apple who walked me through enabling the root user, making a new user, etc..

Before I did this all my file paths were

users/TCG/...

Now they are

users/dave/...

Almost everything was fine, but:

I had just installed Virtual Box with Windows 7. The windows 7 never saved on the new pathway. it still says it can't save or there's not link to the old pathway of users/TCG/...

I have tried repairing permissions in Disk Utility. This has not worked.

Luckily I have the option of uninstalling virtual box and starting the process over (reinstalling windows.) Unfortunately, this is not working.

First, I don't think I know where Virtual Box saves everything. Second, I'm not even sure I deleted the windows install off my computer. It still exists at

Macintosh HD/users/dave/virtual box/windows

All I'd really like is for virtual box to be working with windows. I can uninstall and start over. I tried this but even with the new install it tries to save on the old file path. Any ideas?

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
You'll need to remove the virtual machine via a right-click in the main VirtualBox manager window:

attachment.php

Then you'll need to remove it in the Virtual Media Manager, which is accessible from the "File" menu:

attachment.php

You should be able to proceed with your reinstall after this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 21.15.34.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 21.15.34.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 21.15.47.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 21.15.47.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 146
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.