Odd issue with Word for Mac 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gaviotica2011, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Gaviotica2011 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I had the oddest (and really annoying - to say the least) issue yesterday with a Word document. It was a very large translation I was finishing that had to send to my client today, the file was almost 17 MB in size, being 192 pages long and with a lot of pictures (all of which I compressed with the built-in tool in Word). When I was ready to send it (at around 4 AM), I went back to the top of the document to see if everything was alright and to my complete horror, from pages 1-130 all the text that I had to include in text boxes to fit around an image was gone!! :mad: In its place there was one sole word that I had replaced using the Word feature because I misspelled it. How is it that word "replaced" ALL my text with that one word?? (incidentally, said word wasn't even included in most of the cases within the text on those text boxes).
    After almost having a heart attack, I sent an email to my client asking him to give me a few more hours to fix it. Luckily, and thank God for Mac, I was able to recover an older version of the document with Time Machine (I LOVE Time Machine very much) that didn't have this issue and replaced the affected pages on my final document, but I'm really very curious as to WHY this happened. Did I inadvertently entered a command that did it? And even so, why it didn't replaced the text on ALL the text boxes on the document (actually, I'm glad it didn't, there were a lot of them), or was it only an issue of the document becoming corrupted for being so large? Has anyone had a similar issue?
    Finally (sorry for making this too long), I must say that I had updated Office for Mac already with SP 2

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I wonder if this is related to the issues others are suffering here since the update? Both Excel and Word have been exhibiting strange behaviours since its release. I hope you have managed to retrieve your work.

Only thing I can think of at the moment is to uninstall Office and re-install without updating it.

I was hoping for a working copy (2) of Outlook after the updates but I have left it alone after reading posts like this around the forums.

3. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

Undo?

Another example of a backup/TM saving the day.

As they say, everyone loses data, but those who value their data have (verified) backups.

Of course we can't tell now, but I wonder if a Command+Z (undo) would have solved the original problem.