odd issues post SSD install and new RAM

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by esweeney, Nov 22, 2014.

1. esweeney macrumors newbie

I have a late 2012 2.3GHz quad core mac mini that I have had for about a week or so. I had a mid 2011 mac mini. I started fresh on the 2012, it came with mavericks and i left it there and then reinstalled and configured all my apps. I just upgraded the memory to 16GB and swapped the 1TB drive for a 512 GB SSD. I used carbon copy cloner to clone the TB drive to the SSD.

First issue may be common, not sure, is that the system is acting like it is i haven't run some of these apps before. For example, outlook wanted me to re-enter my license key and then complained i have activated it too many times. I had to reset up my wireless headphones, etc... but the bluetooth keyboard and mouse were still registered.

Second issue, when i reboot the system, it takes longer than it should and during the process, I lose video (my monitor goes amber because it lost a signal and i have to click through the input options to get back to it. I've never had to do that before. So, on boot, I get the apple icon then the circle countdown deal and then the screen goes black and i have wait 10 seconds or so and then click through my video inputs before the video comes back.

When i did this same procedure a few years back on the mid 2011, cloning to the SSD, new ram - I didn't have any of this issues.

Any ideas?

2. Bruno09, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

since you have made many modifications (RAM, SSD, cloning, reinstalls..), I would first :

- use Disk Utility to Check the disk, and Repair the permissions.

- reset SMC and PRAM

- then go to System Preferences / Startup disk, to select you startup disk again.

- restart the computer

Also I would boot in safe mode.

3. esweeney thread starter macrumors newbie

I swapped the memory out and it didn't do anything. I then put the old hard drive back in and I got the same loss of video. I then rerouted my hdmi cable so that it wasn't going through the hdmi switch anymore and that seemed to solve the monitor losing the video signal issue - very strange that i only saw this after the memory and hard drive swap.

In addition, I ran diagnostics and they didn't find any issues.

Going back to the other suggestions you made, I did all of that and the one anomolly to note is that the permissions fix says that it found and fixed several permissions issues but, when i go back and do it again later on, it still finds the same permissions issues. Is this normal or should I be worried? When I look in the system logs I see that finder crashed a few times today, I don't really speak apple system log but it seems to me, it was complaining about some of the attempted permissions changes.

I am too tired to mess with this thing any more today, I think that I will reclone the drive tonight to the SSD and then put the SSD back in tomorrow and see how it behaves. I hate it when you start questioning the stability of your system.

Any decent free diagnostic tools out there to recommend? I'd like to feel confident that nothing is wrong with the system.