odd itunes ripping behavior

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phat Ham, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Phat Ham macrumors member

I'm on a late 2008 MBP 2.0.

I've been re-ripping all of my cds on my new machine and it seems either iTunes or the superdrive has a mind of its own when it comes to ripping behavior. There are 3 different speeds the superdrive will spin at when ripping. I'm ripping at AAC 256kbps VBR with error correction turned on.

The first speed is slow enough that I can't even tell the cd is spinning in the drive.

The second speed is fast enough that I can feel and hear the disc spinning, but not anything that would cause concern. The ripping speed in iTunes seems to be about twice as fast as the above mentioned "slow" speed.

The third speed is where the superdrive spins at what seems like a million rpm and makes all sorts of noise and makes me afraid the whole computer is going to vibrate into pieces. It also seems to be a major resource hog as sometimes itunes music playback will stop for a few seconds. Sometimes in between songs it will spin down only to spin back up to rip the next song.

I'm not sure what causes these different speeds but if someone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it. It's been doing this since I got the MBP. I've updated to all the latest software but the behavior persists.

2. Phat Ham thread starter macrumors member

3. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

I'd say it would have to do with Error Correction. If the disc your importing is scratched/dirty, then the spin speed will alter accordingly so that the drive is able to correctly read the information on the disc.

Turn off Error Correction and see what happens; it may spin at the same speed all the time then. However, you'll potentially be left with songs ripped that have skips in them.

4. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Funny, your wording is very similar to what I posted to the Max (another ripper) forum here:

http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2171

It talks about Max, but I think it's really a function of the drive itself. Like I say in the post/below, iTunes always seem to rip at 6x no matter what, at the "middle" speed.

I'm curious too, because I've been really disappointed with the ripping performance of this laptop. I'm used to getting something more like 24x+ on my PC boxen.

Geo