Odd lines on Macbook 2008 unibody screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jasonh427, Sep 1, 2010.

1. jasonh427 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I am trying to find similar faults online but got no match.

Basically it is only happening on dark background ( wallpaper, games and videos). Static horizontal lines come on and off and only appears at that area.

I tried rebuilt the system, put screen in sleep mode and clear the memory. I even reseat the cables! I bought mini display cables to see if it happen on external monitors, it should arrive in another 2 or 3 days.

I am hoping this is a faulty flex display cable ( i don't want to replace LCD or logic board. ) if anyone know what is causing this please let me know..

Many thanks!!!

JK

Attached Files:

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Very odd behavior, still I don't think it's the display data cable. But it can be many things:
    -Display data cable
    -LCD Panel itself
    -Logic Board
    -Damaged Ram
    -Something else..

Let us know if it works with the external display

3. bizzle macrumors 6502a

It's most likely the panel itself. I've seen this a few times. It's least likely to be the logic board. You can verify this by taking a screenshot when it happens. If it's not in the screenshot, it's not the graphics processor (which is on the logic board).

4. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Yeah I seen it too. The ribbon that connects the lcd controller to the lcd matrix was damaged. But he (or she) already ordered the display adapter so let's see what happens.

5. jasonh427 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, It doesn't show on screenshot. :D

I will update when I can test this out on external monitor.

JK

6. jasonh427 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, Got my mini display adaptor, and it works perfectly on my TV.

I am going to order video cable and replace it myself.

Will update when I get it replaced

JK

7. jasonh427 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, now I am trying to find a video showing how to remove and install lcd cable or buy one from ebay but no luck.

Anyone knows if this is even possible on A1278 model? late 2008 unibody

Thanks again

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

9. mikerosa650 macrumors newbie

@jason, i have had the same exact problem for quite some time. I replaced the lcd and bezel and everything a while back things worked fine for a few months, then this. It has been really bothering me lately and funny to see you have the same exact issue. I am thinking of ordering another led screen for it sometime this week i have seen them for as low as $50 on ebay. But i was thinking it was the cable as well but i can not find one anywhere online to buy, so hopefully that isnt the case. Have you made any further progress? I usually use an external display nowdays because of this issue. If anyone could help please pm or email me. =)

Attached Files:

10. gotnospice macrumors newbie

Same Problem Here!

I've been looking everywhere online for a similar problem, does three count towards a class action or a recall, haha?

Attached is a screen shot, I've also tried everything. Reinstalled the OS, reset PRAM, shut of secure virtual memory.... It comes and goes, but is recently always there, it also like you guys only shows up on darker backgrounds....

Yes, I also did screen shots and a video screen capture and it didn't show up, as well as hooking it up to and external monitor and TV both didn't display the problem.

Please let me know if anyone replaces the ribbon and if that fixed it.

Attached Files:

11. gotnospice macrumors newbie

Have you checked iFixit.com?

12. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I had odd lines and boxes appearing around my windows. I figured out that my flash player version was a beta and didn't work with my 2008macbook... Have you installed any software / updates recently apart from apples?

13. gotnospice macrumors newbie

Video Cable

I just took the laptop apart and removed the cable for the LCD, I cleaned it, blew it out and re inserted it, closed up the laptop and....

problem's still there. I don't think it's software related as it happens on every screen even with just he Finder running...

14. mikerosa650 macrumors newbie

i dont think its any type of software or update that did this, its either our cables to the lcd are going bad or the screens themselves, if it was hardware (ram, video card, etc.) , or anytype of software update or change, we would see these lines on external displays i would think. im ordering a new screen on tuesday so i guess we will wait and see. i have had mine apart before so itll take me no time to install and check.

15. jasonh427 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys!!!

i fixed it!! had enough with external monitor all the time. i bought a broken mac (only can be power up by battery) and replace the monitor (follow ifixit)

its working like a brand new mac :D

16. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It's never the cable. For me, I have seen it be the cable once in three years. People always hope it's the cable because it is the cheapest part, but the cable doesn't get any actual mileage put on it, or tugged, stretched, or pulled.

17. jasonh427 thread starter macrumors newbie

well, because it gets worse over the last few month so i suspect it is the cable, but i dont want to just replace it on A1278, you have to remove glass panel and etc... too risky.

18. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I had this issue on my unibody aluminum macbook and it took apple two LCD replacements to correct the problem.