Odd looking 3g iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JDMFSeanP, May 5, 2010.

1. JDMFSeanP macrumors regular

So I currently have a 2g iphone and went to look at a 3g from craigslist today and something seemed off on it. I'll just make a list:

• Home button felt mushy?
    • Three sensors on the top of the phone which were extremely visable
    • When the screen is off you can see like lines going across it? It varies from solid to dashed to solid etc.

Is that how they normally are?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

Like the screen when on had nothing visibly wrong and functioned correctly, could it have been like a sketchy glass replace on it?

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

doesn't sound right!

unless he is selling it for a really good price I would look else where. you could also meet them at a Apple store and have a genus take a look at it. just to get there opinion. if he says no pass! this of course if you are close to a Apple store.

5. ethical macrumors 68000

I'd just walk away anyway....especially if he's selling it for a really good price!

Really good price = too good to be true, so something's f****d up (usually).

Not worth the risk IMO.

6. RichL macrumors 6502

Craigslist is always sketchy. I'm assuming ebay is the choice location for buying iPhones?

7. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

A couple months ago I (for some stupid reason) wanted to trade my 3gs iPhone. I just get bored with things... I trades a kid for a brand new 5G Nano and a brand new Black berry bold 9700 I thought it was a fair trade... 2 weeks later, I realized I needed my iPhone back. I put a trade add on CL and the guy said the phone was not charge because he lost the cord... I got in my car, he took off, I looked at the phone and the screen was smaller than it should be, it had a removable battery, 2 sim slots..... Yeah. I got ripped the F off... It's my fault though, I didn't look at it first, still very depressing.. It wasn't even a workable iPhone clone.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    I cant believe you fell for that after using a real iphone for a while.
    You should never trust strangers like that without beeing 100% first.

9. iFixYouri macrumors member

Sounds like it is an iPhone, but the owner used some really cheap generic glass and poor adhesive(causing the mushy home button).

The three sensors are where the proximity sensors are. In cheap glass, you can REALLY see them.

The lines you see are the digitizer. It's like engineering paper-like squares. Like a grid. In the real cheap glass, these too are really visible.

With high quality glass, you can't see these lines, or sensors. I bet if you cracked that bad boy open you'd see all sorts of missing screws and replaced parts ;-)

Be cautious.