Odd MBP hard drive issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by agreen182, Jun 15, 2011.

1. agreen182 macrumors newbie

Alright, I've scoured the internet for a solution to this problem and gotten nowhere: my MBP (13", mid 2009 2.26) will not write to or boot from any drive connected internally. I have an external backup plugged in through USB that boots and functions 100% normally.

I know it's not drive related, because I have tried multiple drives and none of them operate. I've then plugged those drives in via a usb to SATA adapter and they all function normally when working over USB...

The odd thing is that when a drive is hooked up via the internal hard drive cable, it shows up in the finder when I'm running OSX through my external backup, and I can browse and view files on the drive just fine. However, when I go to copy a file TO the drive, or modify any files currently on the drive, I get an error message that says

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50).

The way I originally discovered this problem is that I was attempting to format a new drive that was hooked up internally. It showed up in disk utility like normal, but when I went to format it I got an error message saying something along the lines of "cannot allocate memory". I then hooked up that drive via USB and it formatted fine.

Has anyone heard of a problem like this? I'm going to try replacing the hard drive cable, but I really doubt that is going to work, since the computer can at least READ from the internal drives and copy files FROM them. Any help would be very much appreciated, I'd be really bummed to have to send it in :(

2. agreen182 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright

just in case anyone ever runs into this issue, it turned out to be the hard drive cable. Ifixit has them, but I got mine on ebay for much cheaper. And they are a cinch to replace