odd menu bar behavior

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sossity, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I recently uninstalled an app through the trash me app. The app had an icon that ran in the menu bar at the top of my screen all the time, but now the icon is gone. After I removed the app, there is now a sort of a ghost placeholder space where it was. I hold my mouse on it & the options get highlighted in blue to launch, or purchase online, but nothing happens when I click on them, because the app has been removed.

anybody know what this is? is it anything serious?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because TrashMe didn't fully remove all components of the app. Try holding the Command key and dragging that space off the Menu Bar.

In most cases, app removal software like TrashMe doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. Sossity, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip, it worked, & now the space is gone, I copied your thread into a word doc for refernece, & will now go in & by hand remove the other less useful app cleaners, & will do it according to your guide from now on. thanks.

I did everything in the steps outlined, but noticed the directory at the bottom with the red circle; username>library>cahces>skype

there was no directory like this at the bottom of my search page, but I had everything else set up like in the example.

is there any utility I could use to clean up odd files that I may miss when removing apps myself by hand? would onyx work?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're welcome! Glad to help!

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

He's such a mensch! :D:rolleyes: