odd menubar battery guage behavior

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lopes, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Lopes macrumors 6502

Hi, i've noticed something odd (well, odd to me anyways) about the menubar battery guage in my 2.2 santa rose MBP. It's always 100% when plugged in. Always. Only when i do a restart does it change to, say, 98% upon reboot. Then it'll stay at 98% until the next reboot, and so on and so on.

This is the first laptop i've owned since my titanium powerbook, and my experience with that was it would charge to 100, slowly drain to 94, then recharge back, continuing that cycle. This MBP has never done that...is this normal behavior?

I have calibrated it correctly btw.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So its used 2% on a restart... I don't see the issue. Sometime the battery gauge is wrong? Perhaps, your battery lost capacity?

3. Lopes thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess i wasn't clear in my original post, so let me try this again.

The titanium powerbook, while plugged in, would always bounce between 95-100% charge, and this was normal behavior. Apple said it had something to do with the the battery conditioning or whatever. Regardless, it was normal and accepted behavior to see the battery dip to 95%, then charge back up, while being plugged in all the time.

My new MBP doesn't do this. It'll stay at 100% for days, and only show a change after a restart, like to 98%. Then it'll stay on 98% for days, until my next restart, when it'll go lower. The MBP guage doesn't bounce between 95-100% on it's own like the titanium powerbook did.

I'm asking if this is normal behavior or not. I haven't owned an apple laptop in years, so i don't know if they changed things.

4. Lopes thread starter macrumors 6502

top, still curious if anyone understands what i'm asking here :)

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy