Odd Message Send Failures

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tannerozzy, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Tannerozzy macrumors regular

Tannerozzy

I've been having some weird message sending failures this morning. The first time it happened was when I tried to send a simple text to 4 people (no emoji or anything, just a regular text). No biggie, I just copied the message and pasted it in a text to each of them individually. But just now I when asking a friend about it in another text (with an emoji) I noticed that one failed too. So I copied, pasted, removed the emojicon and tried it again and it sent. ??

Is anyone else having issues sending texts to multiple people or sending texts with emojicons?

*it's an up to date 3GS

Attached Files:

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Yes, that's because sending to multiple people turns an SMS into an MMS, which isn't supported by AT&T. ;) Also, adding emoji also turns it into an MMS.

3. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Not true, I can send it to more than one person. I agree with the emoji, that could have something to do with it. In 2.x I used to send emoji in texts to people and they would never receive them...

4. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I send emoji all the time and it doesnt not send so it cant be an MMS...right?

5. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

completely not true. i send group messages all the time. emoji though i have heard can only be seen or sent i guess to other iphone users. Thats just what ive heard dunno if its true.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I stand corrected on the emoji. I thought it sent as an MMS.

As for the group sending, ever since 3.0, when I tried to send an SMS to more than one person, it turned into an MMS, and others had said the same. I understood from posts that it was a bug that was fixed in 3.1.

If I'm wrong, sorry. :eek:

7. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

hmm i dunno i can send em on 3.0 thats really weird if i can and other people cant haha who knows

8. Tannerozzy thread starter macrumors regular

Tannerozzy

The emoji I was sending was to another iPhone (that also can send emoji). The weird thing is, I've send both emoji and multiple recipient messages before on 3.0. This just started happening this morning.

...maybe at&t is working on mms :D

...or maybe they caught me tethering last night and this is my punishment :(

So nobody else is noticing this lately (as in today)?

9. brn2prgrm macrumors member

As most people have already said, but to clarify... If you're using a hacked carrier file for tethering or MMS (noted by the camera icon,) then sending a group text message will cause 3.0 to treat the message as a Group MMS which is making it fail. I can also personally confirm that this issue has not yet been fixed in the most recent 3.1 build. As for emoji, it has no bearing on whether the message needs to be sent as an SMS or MMS.

10. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

11. Tannerozzy thread starter macrumors regular

Tannerozzy

Thanks all

Perfect, that's what I was looking for. I didn't realize that, thanks.

But still, why could I send group texts as recent as yesterday afternoon? I don't understand what could have happened to flip the switch to make it MMS all the sudden. I didn't sync up or anything last night.

It's not really a big problem and I'm sure it'll get sorted out soon, I was mainly seeing if it was just me or happening to others all the sudden as well. Thanks for all the info though.

*side note: i upgraded from 3G and i can't express how 'worth it' the 3GS is. it's SO fast. i sold my 3G on gazelle and ended up making money to upgrade, can't beat that!

12. thelordnyax macrumors regular

on OS 3.0, if you have MMS enabled, it will turn group texts into MMS

if you want to send a group text, you cans imply go to Settings>Messages>MMS Messaging OFF

I don't know about your emoji problem, what i DO know is that when I send a message containing emoji to anyone with Verizon, the message doesn't even get through
    to other AT&T non-iPhones, they'll get the message, but the emoji, of course, won't display
    and people with iPhones get it no problem

13. alexmadison macrumors member

alexmadison

I have heard this also.

14. tigertazz macrumors regular

tigertazz

The good thing about this is in the UK that a MMS takes up 4 of the contracted SMS bundles. so sending a SMS to 15 people only costs 4 when done through the MMS grouping!! saving you 11 SMS credits....JOY:D

and yes my bill does reflect this..... :D:D