Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I picked up a real sad TiBook for free today and luckily she turned right on, which means the PRAM battery is fine. However, it emits a really odd sound from around the CPU area:
https://vid.me/84Vk

Idk how or what?? Not the fans?

happyfrappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Location eh?
If your PowerBook G4 starts to make a weird fan variable vibration(purr-like instead of whirl/hum) I'd suggest looking at cleaning the intake vents and heatsink fan for dirt/dust/hair. I knew a few TiBook owners and while the design was prone to nasty oxidizing/corrosion if used near the ocean, they were built extremely well until the hinges failed but most PCs with similar external hinge designs suffered too. (I live near the ocean so owning or buying a used TiBook was just a bad idea, a friend from RI went through two AppleCare replacements a 500Mhz then a 667Mhz)

The only other possible noise would be if the backlight was going, notebooks/2000s LCD monitors would make a high pitch/mosquito buzzing noise with some mild flicker/slight uneven brightness before the light started to degrade/dim.

Based on the looks of that desk/computer environment too much electronic/electrical stuff is bound to create unwanted interference which can sometimes be heard on older notebook speakers--my old 12" PowerBook G4 was prone to a 60Hz hum or picking up a Quebec talk/music station during the winter while being a state away from the Canadian border--J'ai peur que je vais rouiller ce soir :confused: :eek:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
If your PowerBook G4 starts to make a weird fan variable vibration(purr-like instead of whirl/hum) I'd suggest looking at cleaning the intake vents and heatsink fan for dirt/dust/hair. I knew a few TiBook owners and while the design was prone to nasty oxidizing/corrosion if used near the ocean, they were built extremely well until the hinges failed but most PCs with similar external hinge designs suffered too. (I live near the ocean so owning or buying a used TiBook was just a bad idea, a friend from RI went through two AppleCare replacements a 500Mhz then a 667Mhz)

The only other possible noise would be if the backlight was going, notebooks/2000s LCD monitors would make a high pitch/mosquito buzzing noise with some mild flicker/slight uneven brightness before the light started to degrade/dim.

Based on the looks of that desk/computer environment too much electronic/electrical stuff is bound to create unwanted interference which can sometimes be heard on older notebook speakers--my old 12" PowerBook G4 was prone to a 60Hz hum or picking up a Quebec talk/music station during the winter while being a state away from the Canadian border--J'ai peur que je vais rouiller ce soir :confused: :eek:
Hmm. I was wondering if it was the backlight. I'm going to try it again in a bit, today has been a bit crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.