odd Oblivion crashing in Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by benmrii, May 8, 2009.

1. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of something like this, or perhaps experienced it themselves. I'm at a loss.

I'm running a 15" MBPro, 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 9600M GT and purchased Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, the Game of the Year Edition. I randomly crash in a way that I've not seen described elsewhere, except for this very old MacRumors thread.

Very similar to that, I will be walking or running and, while I am outside every time I am sometimes out in the vast area of Cyrodiil or "outside" in a city. The screen will go completely black (no UI) while the music continues to play. A few seconds later the music will stop and the only thing left to do at that point is to hold down the power button long enough to shut down the computer.

This was occurring in Vista (64 bit) and some research taught me that Oblivion doesn't always play nice with Vista, so I downgraded to my copy of XP, but the same thing continues to happen.

I have tried various video drivers, including the new, straight from NVidia 185.85 drivers released yesterday. The computer is warm but does not seem to be overheating.

Thank you for any input you might have.

2. jmaquarry macrumors member

Well im not too sure -
    but when a similar situation happened to me it was due to the water textures or shaders being somehow incompatable with my graphics card on my macbook - i believe you can download an oblivion.ini patch somewhere to rectify this.. (ill have a look then update if i can find it)...

also have you tried installing OLDBLIVION? which lets oblivion play with older computers and graphics cards (without reducing visual quality) - http://www.oldblivion.com/

Sorry if this hasn't helped.

3. Mozzize macrumors newbie