Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
**edit: sorry, I mean't dvd's...if that makes a difference ;)

Maybe somebody knows why this thing acts strange. Heres what happens.

I had burned some backup cds of files on my computer using the disk utility. What I did on some was to burn them as 'read only', instead of the option 'read and write'.

I was confounded, however, when I loaded one of these read only discs into my macbook. When I tried to drag any of the discs contents onto my computers hd, it would display a little white circle with a slash across it. In other words, it wouldn't let me copy it.

Now here's the real strange bit. Once I loaded any of these read only discs, not only did it do what I described above, ALL the contents of my computers hd behaved this way too!

I have to eject the disc and restart the computer to get it back to normal.

I can see why maybe just the disc won't let me copy, but then that it affects the contents of my entire computer??

Why is it doing this?

Thanks for any enlightenment

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Are you referring to burning on a CD RW? Because any file or folder you burn to a CD is "read only". Even when using a CD RW, it would have to be erased first.

Sounds strange, but it appears when you burned the CD you set your entire system to read only somehow?????

Anyway, there's absolutely no reason to burn a data CD especially a backup CD as "read only". Just do a normal drag and drop copy from your HD to the CD and let the software handle it.

Regards.

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
I'm sorry, I meant I burned DVD's. They weren't rewritable ones. I remember selecting the 'read only' option before burning. Because I figured, whats the difference...once they're burned anyway. Some, I also burned at the time, as 'read & write'.

Those I don't experience this problem, and I've subsequently been burning with Toast without problem.

Its just those handful I burned as read only. So the culprit seems to be that I burned them as read only. I insert the disc, but once I try to copy any of the files on it onto my HD, blaaam, everything else on my computer can't be dragged anywhere else or be copied. Its weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.