Odd plinking sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Haviland, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Haviland macrumors newbie

I received my MacBook Pro (15 inch) this morning, and so far have been very satisfied with my purchase. However, one nagging issue is getting on my nerves.

When I move the computer sometimes on my lap, or when I am typing, I hear a high-pitched plinking noise (sometimes more than one). It is definitely not coming out of my speakers, and sounds as if it is coming out of the base of the laptop. I have put it on a bed and applied pressure to the corners of the machine (with the lid open), and by applying pressure to the bottom two corners (the ones furthest from the screen) I was able to replicate the sounds consistently.

I would just take it to an Apple store to see what they have to say about it, but the nearest one is an incredible distance away. I am hoping that this is something I can fix on my own. If anyone could help me out I would be grateful.

2. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I have the same issue with my 15". If i move it or press on the right corner it will also make the noise. I always noticed it but never bothered to have it checked out and my MBP has had no problems.

3. Yixian macrumors 65816

Not sure if it's the same sound as me but I get a very high pitched kind of "tink tink" when I turn my laptop on it's side, but it sounds almost as if it's made by tiny pieces of metal sliding down the laptop or something... Very odd.

4. JasonHB macrumors regular

It is the disk drive head disengaging from the HDD to protect it against impact.

It has a sudden impact sensor which detect sudden movement to protect data

Jason

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

/thread

6. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

got this same issue, its totally different from when i move my laptop and hear the HDD though, its more of a short type of sound and its when its on a stable surface. I use my macbook on my lap and try it, and this sound doesnt pop up when i try to recreate it

7. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I have the same issue on my 15" MacBook Pro, Early 2008. It happens when I have the fans set too high and nothing CPU intensive running and the machine gets cool.