odd powering down issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benmrii, Nov 30, 2007.

1. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

macbook. black, if it matters. shut it down (not sleep) and a few hours later a full battery has gone dead.

2 things outside of that symptom:

1) when you shut it down the computer doesn't seem to go all the way down. the OS goes away, the screen goes black, but there remains a very obvious working noise coming from the center of the keyboard. this sound will actually go away if you press the power button once or twice more after it seems to have shut down. if you go through this process the battery does not deplete between then and restarting it.

the follow up to that is: yes, pressing the power button just once, or even twice, following the 'shut down' does not boot the computer. whether you notice it or not the first and/or second press of the power button after this failed type of shut down just 'really' shuts it down. only after the failing shut down process and one or two presses to stop the working noise does pressing the power button start the computer.

and 2) the screen flashes on and off quickly, but brightly and noticeably, when you boot it, then goes dark, chimes and boots normally

i miss resetting open firmware. i want to reset-nvram. but resetting the PMU hasn't helped it and it's been having this problem about two weeks now.

any help you can give i'd appreciate a ton. my fear is going to end up being a MLB but i'm hoping there is something else to do before that kicks in. i know it is stereotypical and annoying to say that it will be tough to be without this computer for a week... but it will be.

thank you

2. clopert, Nov 30, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

clopert macrumors newbie

3. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

I finally got 'round to trying this specific idea but that option is apparently no long available for macbooks (or macbook pros, for that matter).

so perhaps this is a selfish bump more than an update? :eek:

:D