Odd problem, memory disappeared in seconds

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JustOneQuickONe, Sep 16, 2009.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

I just got a new macbook pro. I am trying to blue tooth my music and album artwork over to it from my old macbook. When the Artwork was transferring, it transferred before the music, it stopped right before it got done and I got the beach ball. Bluetooth file exchange turned off, so I thought maybe it just got hung up and tried the transfer again. Again Bluetooth file exchange quit right before completing the transfer of album artwork and a message popped up saying I had low memory on my hard drive. I started the process with about 24GB free on the HD, I watched it go from about 5MB yes MB down to 2MB within seconds. I restarted the computer and it went back up to 3.7 and I watched it drop to 3.5MB. All of this fluctuation continued even after the transfer quit and bluetooth file exchange closed. I don't think any other programs were open.

What just happened? Is my new computer in any kind danger since I was transferring files from the old which had the problem?
    How can I tell where all this space was taken up so I can delete whatever is taking it up?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

update: I know it's been seconds since I posted but I just opened Safari (was not previously open) and then closed it and the memory jumped up to 116.6MB free... I'm lost...

3. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

4. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502