Odd problem, moved Mac Pro, now it won't boot

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kepardue, Dec 22, 2010.

1. kepardue macrumors 6502

I moved my Mac Pro from one side of my desk to the other, and now I can't seem to get it to boot. I noticed that on the monitor a 1.5 year old Cinema Display, that it's flashing short-long-short. Any ideas what's going on?

2. kepardue thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, not sure I could have messed that one up. I've tried flipping the connector into the power brick both ways, and using a different power cable. Same result. Do you think something could be wrong with the power brick itself?

3. kepardue thread starter macrumors 6502

Geez, if it is the power brick, that's a heck of a thing to purchase to be unsure if it's going to make a difference. Those things are nearly as expensive as a low-end monitor, by themselves. :(

4. kepardue, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

kepardue thread starter macrumors 6502

Definitely something with the monitor and not the Mac. Just plugged in a different monitor and it seems to work. Ugh. At least there's that. But I'm not sure what else I can do to troubleshoot this. Searching around the 'net I'm seeing that sometimes a new power brick fixes the problem, sometimes it doesn't.

Edit: Just plugged in the Cinema Display concurrently with the smaller DVI display. It seems to detect the ACD. The system displays two monitors to configure, though I can't actually see a picture on the ACD. Also, a USB keyboard plugged into the monitor's USB port is working fine.

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

It could be the brick, or the circuitry in the ACD itself - hard to diagnose without another power brick to hand, and as you said, they're expensive now.

Saying that, the fact that your computer is "seeing" two screens indicates a problem with the ACD itself, but I wouldn't swear gospel on that.

6. kepardue thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to grab a power brick from a buddy of mine that also runs a 23" ACD and see if that's the issue. If it is, I'll get a new brick. If it looks like it's something in the ACD itself, looks like I'll be running on a cheapie for a while.

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Sounds like acd Power Brick. Try quickly Plugging and unplugging the connection to the brick 5 times. If that doesn't work unplug it for 10 minutes or so, then plug it in.

These were recommended on apples forums and have worked for me. If you need a new brick, try to get one from a 30" disPlay. They will work fine and there have been a lot less Problems.

8. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

If you bought the monitor at the same time as the Mac Pro and you got AppleCare then it should be covered. You could have Apple find out what is wrong for you.

9. kepardue thread starter macrumors 6502

It was purchased separately from the Mac Pro, but I'll have to have our accounting person check to see if we purchased AppleCare. I don't recall if we did or not, but if memory serves we purchased the ACD as a refurb without AppleCare.

Tried the power brick. Same result. Looks like something is either messed up in the monitor or in the cable that goes to the monitor. Crazy. For the cost of what Apple would charge to repair it I could get a new, larger monitor that also does 1920x1200.

10. peskaa, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I had a similar issue - one of my 23"ers turned pink round all the edges, making it useless for photography work. Well out of AppleCare, and the repair cost was actually more than the ACDs cost in their last price drop (UK was £599, repair was about £680). Luckily I bent Apple's arms hard enough that I got a refurb replacement for free - unfortunate part was that the refurb has a white pixel slap bang in the middle. That display is now used on the old Mac Pro so I don't have to stare at the pixel all day.

11. kepardue thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, does anyone know if the Radeon 5770 will work in a MacPro 1,1 well enough to pump out a signal to the 27" Apple Cinema Display? I know there's a slower PCIE slot in the 1,1, but I've also read about others having some success with the card pushing it. I just don't know about the high resolution of the 27". Potentially looking at going ahead and upgrading the monitor now and the Mac Pro next year after the Sandy Bridge models come out.

The video cards in the system are currently Single Link DVI, so potentially I could get Atlona AT-DP200 and run it, but I understand that it would only push a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 to the 27".

12. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

My 5770 works smoooooooth with the 30" ACD @ 2160x1200, so should work great for you unless I misunderstood something?

13. kepardue thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, that's exactly what I needed to know. If it works with the 30" ACD with your MacPro 1,1, I'm sure it'll run the 27" ACD that uses DisplayPort on mine.

14. kepardue thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, does one have to use the Apple-branded Radeon 5770 upgrade kit, or can one use, for instance, the XFX or Sapphire variants?

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

16. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

This is a common issue with the 23".

Something is wrong with the display, not the brick. Moving to the 150W 30" Power Adapter will get you going again. You can pick them up for like $100 on eBay.