Odd problem - please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phatspider, Jun 16, 2007.

1. phatspider macrumors 6502

Having a weird prob on my MBP C2D and thought someone here may be able to help

I have tried to install a few bits of software recently and having problems.

eg. I just downloaded RDC - ran the .dmg file and then went to click the remote desktop connection icon but nothing happens - even if i ctrl click and hit open - just nothing. So I removed and tried downloading again - same

Thought it may be a one off - but i just tried installing Mac Office 2004 -and same - i get the optin of either dragging all folders into my apps - or double clikcing on the installer thing. Clicking the installer does nothing like above. And if I drag the folder to my apps - it copies fine - but when i try and open one of the apps - eg. word - exactly same - no resposne from clicking on the app or from ctrl click open

Thirdly - just to prove its not a Microsoft app prob - I have exactly the same issue with Mac The Ripper.

HELP?!?!?!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What exactly did you do before that? By any chance did you use delocalizer, monolingual, or any other app that tries to give you more free space by deleting parts of the OS that you supposedly don't need?

3. phatspider thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi - thanks for the reply - yes I have used monolingual fairly recently - but not immediately so - about 2 weeks ago

Is that the prob?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Most likely culprit... it causes exactly this behavior. Forum search here, or else you may have to just reinstall the system (and don't do it again).

5. phatspider thread starter macrumors 6502

ah bugger!!!

did a fresh install 2 weeks ago as was running slow - and went with monolingual to reduce size etc - silly as plenty of space

ah well

thanks for the advice