Odd problem with high-pitched noise

Discussion in 'iMac' started by inhalexhale1, Dec 7, 2013.

1. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I already set up a return, so I'm not sweating this, but I'm at a loss to what is wrong with the iMac.

Opening certain apps on the iMac cause it to make a high pitch squealing noise. Not incredibly loud, but noticeable, and it's loudest near the USB ports. Unplugging a USB device and then plugging it back in briefly stops the noise, but then it continues. Some apps cause a fainter hum, and others nothing. The sound is always intermittent. This happens with devices connected or disconnected, so it's not an external hardware issue. Maybe it's the processor? Apps like Maschine cause the worst noise and are more CPU intensive. I don't think it's the SSD. Not sure what else it could be. Any ideas?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Yes, it's broken. Forget about it, why waste time or effort if you're returning the thing.

3. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Where abouts is the noise coming from?

I have a high pitch crackling noise which is related to the screen panel. It only happens at low brightness and is usually triggered by the screen rendering something new.

Incidentally, I don't have the same problem in windows.

4. inhalexhale1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's loudest by the USB ports. I also discovered changing the sampling rate in audio applications will change the pitch of the noise. It almost sounds like coil whine. Just glad it happened during the return period.

5. Luke93 macrumors newbie

Obviously he is just curious.
    Why does it matter to you?