Odd question, copying music to a USB drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KJChevy3, Aug 20, 2008.

1. KJChevy3 macrumors newbie

I imported some CD's to iTunes, copied them fom My Music to a USB drive than plugs into the head unit in my car. On some (not all) there are an equal number of tracks following the actual songs (i.e. 1-12 play fine, 13-24 show as unsupported format) that seem to be "extra". when I plug the USB nto the iMac and look at the folders I don't see anything other than the actual tracks in .m4a, which sho as AAC on my head unit. Any idea what these are and how I can et rid of them?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

What you should do is use terminal to see all the files on your USB drive. Chances are the extra files are hidden in finder.

3. KJChevy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I'm new to the mac, just got the iMac a week ago, how do I view hidden files like these?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

5. KJChevy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks for the quick help, I'll give it a try tonight.

6. macdot macrumors 6502

7. KJChevy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I talked to the help line and they had me go through Finder to view all invisible files on the USB drive - didn't see any, so I still have these "unsupported format" files when I have the drive hooked up in the car.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Finder cannot see hidden files by default. Use the link I posted a few posts above to use terminal to turn on hidden file viewing in finder.

9. KJChevy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, tried that, still don't see anything other than the tracks, but the headunit in the car still shows Unsupported format files.

10. Tosser macrumors 68030

Could it be "cover art" it's interpreting as "tracks"?

11. Babooshka macrumors 6502

Babooshka

Use Disk Utility and format the USB drive then put the music on it again?

12. KJChevy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd rather not, I most of the stuff on the USB came from my brother and i don't have it to put back on. If I still have the issue next time I see him I may try that, thanks. I guess I can copy it to a temp folder while reformatiing if it comes to that.

I talked to someone at work who mentioned the .DS_Store file that shows when files are unhidden, what is that file for? Would it hurt to remove it? My only problem with this is some of the folders that play fine seem to have this file, and some that have the extra unsupported files don't, so I'm not sure that is an issue...

13. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Use an app called Finder Cleaner to eject the USB disk. It clears off all these kind of files.

I used to use it when I put music on my sisters memory stick for her Sony Ericsson K750i.

Finder Cleaner can be found here:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16996

hope this helps

pac

14. thecoard macrumors member

thecoard

Because copying and pasting Terminal code can be daunting to anyone.

15. KJChevy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually ran terminal on another mac, not mine, a guy at work has one hooked up for fun. When I looked at the USB drive the only thing that showed was .DS_Store. And that didn't show in all the folders. Does that sound like something that would cause this and would it hurt to delete it? As for the terminal code, this seems pretty minor, and it looks just like a DOS command window to me...