Odd Question from iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by roland.g, Mar 31, 2010.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

So I set up an external drive to house my iTunes library, copied the entire library over to the new drive and then went into iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced to give it the new location. It then gave me a progress bar updating the new library and followed that with a message asking:

Would you like iTunes to move and rename the files in your new iTunes Media folder to match the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" preference?

Is it asking if I still want files organized, or it is thinking it needs to now copy everything from my library over to the place where my library now is. Which I already did!?!

2. bsblvnv macrumors regular

It will keep the files on the external but it will just change all of the paths to keep them more organized. So to answer your question no they will not be moved.

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

They were already organized by iTunes that way. So my question is whether it is going to try to copy the data again? You wouldn't think so, but?

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Since you moved the folder manually, iTunes can't know that the files were already organized by iTunes... Answering yes shouldn't copy the data again.