Odd...refurb Cinema Displays suddenly sold out?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by martinm0, Apr 13, 2013.

1. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Just noticed today that the refurbished Cinema Display is suddenly sold out on the Apple website, though the Thunderbolt Displays are still listed. I frequent the refurb site quite often and this is the first time I've seen the Cinema Displays not listed in a very long time (and of course I was just about to buy one).

I'm sure this is just a situation of them either being sold out or maybe a glitch, but anyone want to speculate about new displays or Mac Pros? (Note, the display is still available new in box in the online store).

And while I'm at it, what does everyone think will happen once the new Mac Pros finally do come out? Will Apple find a way to integrate Thunderbolt connections into the video card? Or will the GPU be more akin to the iMac and not be a replaceable PCIe card? Would Apple be so bold as to create a new external Display that would support both Thunderbolt and mini displayport so it could be used with any Mac?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

The refurb store available stock fluctuates quite a bit.

3. macalec macrumors 6502

It could mean that new models are coming out with the new mac pro system. I am hearing it could come out within the next couple months.

4. cxc273 macrumors regular

The 27" Cinema Display was discontinued in 2011, though Apple obviously had supplies left from either extra stock or returned units. Although it's possible that the displays may pop up again in the refurb store, it's likely that Apple will, at some point, run out of them since the unit was succeeded by the current Thunderbolt display.

As for an updated version, it stands to reason that Apple will introduce a newer version that will take its design cues from the current iMac. I assume they'll update the USB ports to 3.0 and include at least a Thunderbolt and an Ethernet port.

If you're desperate to get a 27" Cinema Display, I'm happy to sell you mine! I'll be happy to upgrade to the Thunderbolt display! :)

5. dmax35 macrumors 6502

How much and the condition?

6. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Cinema Display is still available in UK from Apple with 24 hours delivery at £899. Hardly ever have either of the displays in the refurb store here though.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

There today.

8. martinm0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Ccrew. Looks like it was added in the last few hours (had been checking all morning).

False alarm, everyone. Nothing to see here. Move along...

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

*Cough* Are you sure about that?

10. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

It wasn't discontinued. They still offer it new in store.

11. martinm0, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

martinm0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Damn, and sniped while I was trying to checkout.

EDIT - showed back up and placed the order a few minutes ago.

12. cxc273 macrumors regular

My bad on that -- I was under the mistaken impression that once Apple introduced the 27" Thunderbolt that the 27" Cinema Display was discontinued! Thanks for the correction, gang!

dmax35, I'm sure the Cinema Display will pop up again at some point soon. There's a really great site that tracks refurbs that will ping you if you want one of these from Apple: http://www.refurb.me/us/

But if you're interested in mine -- I originally purchased it as a refurb, but it's still in pristine condition -- let me know!

13. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

I would like to see this possibility even if refurb Displays are still sold. I have a bad feeling however, that Apple is going to continue to get out of the display business for the most part.