Odd Registration question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keerf, Jul 13, 2011.

1. keerf macrumors member

Hey All,

Proud owner of a new 15" macbook pro. I got the ram upgraded in it to 8gb in it, in store. My question I have is going to sound like an odd one but here goes.

I called up applecare because I had a quick meaningless question to ask them. When I gave them the serial number from the computer, they told me it wasn't registered under my name. They corrected it and told me not to worry, could be someone typed in the wrong serial number somewhere or something.

My question is this, the computer came in a brand new sealed box, and then obviously was opened to do the ram upgrade. Could the apple store have pulled possibly a fast one on me, and given me a used computer? Or could the person who did the ram upgrade registered the computer?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks all!

2. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I'm willing to guess that it was simply registered in error (perhaps somebody accidentally typed the wrong number or letter somewheres along the line and it happened to match your serial number).

The chances of an Apple Store pulling a fast one on you are slim to none, and there's really no reason why someone at the store would have registered your computer in their name as there's really no benefit for them to do so (as you have the original proof of purchase, etc.)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just enjoy your new Mac. :)

3. keerf thread starter macrumors member

The only reason I'm asking is because this has happened twice. This is the second computer I got that had this issue. First one had some issues, but the computer's serial was registered to someone else. Now this one while working good, has the same issue. Just seems odd that two computers would have the same exact serial number issue.

I am probably reading way to much into this.

4. blackbinary macrumors member

In the future avoid in-store upgrades, as your paying $200+ for ram you can buy for $60 (and keep/sell the original sticks).

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

TBH, it won't really affect you as long as you can back up your purchase. I've encountered a number of users that just bought a brand new Mac but when you enter it into the database, it comes as already registered. This is likely an error when reps don't confirm the serial number being told to them.