Odd request? Stop webcam being sent!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gamble, May 12, 2009.

1. Gamble macrumors member

Right, i have a sister who uses webcam ALL the time which gives me terrible ping and even makes this site take about a minute to load each page?!

Any ports i can close on my router to prevent it being sent or maybe not be able to get a connection or anything along the lines of preventing her using it, ever!

Any suggestions? :)

2. Gamble thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, she is using a windows laptop. Only Mac involved is mine :apple:

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

You could ask her not to use it so much, or not to use it when you're online or something. I doubt she's going to be chuffed when she tries to webcam and can't.

4. Gamble thread starter macrumors member

The same feeling i get while trying to download material for work but it goes so ridiculously slow i am unable to finish a project on time.

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I don't think there's anything you can do outside of setting up your router to block the ports.

Why not just ask her to stop when you're working?

6. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

If she's dumb. Just unplug the ethernet, change the pass on the wireless, etc.

If not. Block ports

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Hmm i am having the same problem here but my brother is on xbox live every night + video chatting with it. I get yelled at when i use my own internet account that i pay for! WTF.

I just block the mac address some times or set up QoS and restrict how much bandwidth is being used by a certain ip / mac address

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Find out what her local IP is and throttle her bandwidth at the router. Sibling rivalry is a bitch!
    EDIT: Or if you don't want to start a war, look up QoS (Quality of Service) and learn how to make your router leverage bandwidth according to IP and demand.