Odd Return Situation

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blackc2011, Jan 6, 2010.

1. blackc2011 macrumors newbie

Sorry first off if this is in the wrong forum.

Anyway, a week ago I purchased a new iPod Touch for the use of having something mobile that I can check e-mails, use a calendar, etc. while I am roaming around campus without always having to lug out my Macbook Pro. However, for some reason the college I attend does not allow iPods on it's wireless network, so my new purchase has since been sitting in the dust as I can't use it's full capabilities. So I decided I'd like to return it, as I would also be a few hundred dollars richer which would be nice as I go to college and just wait until my school allows iPods or until I can finally switch to ATT to get an iPhone.

So here's the situation: I bought this at an Apple Store back home, which is several hundred miles away. There is also not an Apple Store anywhere near campus, for about 100-150 miles (not the same one I bought it from). I also do not have a car with me at the moment (to save from always spending my money on gas and whatnot). So does anyone know if it would be at all possible to mail it back to that Apple Store I bought it from or directly to Apple itself? Or will I have to bribe a friend with a car and take a road trip to return it. I only have a few more days before I am no longer able to return it, so time is cutting a bit short. Any advice on what to do in this situation would be greatly appreciated! =)

2. zacksba Guest

call apple and see if they can accomodate the return by mail. It may save you a trip.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm afraid I don't have anything to contribute on the return question, but how exactly does your college block ipods from their network? Perhaps there's a way around it?

4. blackc2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

@zacksba: I'll give them a call. Thanks.

@Night Spring: They only allow laptops, desktops, or gaming devices to register. Everyone needs to have either Windows or Mac OSX with and installed anti-virus software to access it also, which the iPod has neither built in. The closest thing I found was trying to register it as a PSP but they didn't allow that. The IT people told me they're working on it, but that remains to be seen. It's kind of a bummer, especially since the price-tag here is $45000/year, you think they'd at least have decent internet.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But how do they tell if the device you are trying to connect is registered or not?