Odd scenario; Could use some insight.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by -YK, Dec 28, 2012.

1. -YK macrumors member

Hey guys, my attempts have failed thus far so I figured I would give asking on here a shot.

I had an old iPhone 3GS with a ton of photos/videos on it, once I got my 4S, I stopped using it completely and just left it sitting around, or used it as an iPod on occasion. Anyway, long story short: It got destroyed.

I was wondering, is there a way I could get those photos and videos back? I have located the old 3GS iPhone backups through Finder but they're all gibberish. I also tried using an old iPod Touch to restore it from one of the backups, but it did not work. Are the photos and videos pretty much gone, or can I try another route?

Edit- I should also let it be known that I did not back up the photos anywhere else. (as in they are not on my computer). I have since started doing that for my 4S.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If the photos and videos are on the camera roll you can take them off. If they're not you would have to jailbreak it and use a program like (open ssh) iExplorer or CyberDuck and pull them off that way.

3. gaboshenia macrumors member

Don't really need to jailbreak. Try expod, iphone explorer or ibackupbot. You can find all of them for free on macupdate.com. Good luck!

4. -YK thread starter macrumors member

The phone is completely broken, guys. That's my issue. The only remnants of the photos would be in the backup files (I think).

5. Ardzii macrumors newbie

If you're looking for your backup files, you should be able to find it in your Library.
    Go to Finder > on the upper menu "Go" > Maintain Option on your keyboard > Library should appear then click on it. It'll open a Finder Window.
    Then I'm not sure where exacly it's located, you'll find a Backup Folder in Application Support > Mobile Sync or you can also find iPhone files in Mobile Documents > ...

Good luck anyways, I'm not sure you'll be able to extract your photos from your backup.