Odd screen flicker, possibly only in Safari?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MVApple, May 5, 2009.

1. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I've noticed something like a flicker lately and I'm not quiet sure what it is. It's not the backlight because the flicker doesn't appear to occur throughout the screen and I can't reproduce it by changing the brightness. It happens so fast that it's a bit difficult to tell what is actually happening and it seems to be random. I spend more time in Safari than in any other application, but I've only noticed this flicker in Safari.

Basically, in the top left corner, I will all of sudden see something like a flicker and a white box appear then disappear. It happens very fast so I can't fully tell what is happening. As far as I've noticed, it's not the whole screen, and it's only in the top left corner that I've noticed it. I think a white box may appear then disappear, giving me the impression that there is some flickering going on.

I'm thinking maybe it's Safari closing down a pop up box? Anyone else notice this?

2. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Does it happen only when you scroll up or down fast? I had a similar problem until I reinstalled OS X.

3. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure, it happens so fast and usually I'm concentrating on something else that I haven't been able to pinpoint it to any one thing. I can't reproduce it, but I'll try to pay attention next time it happens. Today I saw something sort of similar in Windows. It happened when I logged in to a school website. The difference in Windows was that I could clearly see a window pop up for a second and then it diappeared. I'm always logged into this website so I wonder if maybe it relogs me in periodically and if thats what I'm seeing.

4. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

It might just be a window popping up and then closing as you suggested in your first post. I don't know why, but some sites like hulu.com seem to open up a blank pop up window, and then close immediately. I guess if you really wanted to know what it was, you could get a screen recording software, and record your screen for a couple minutes. If you see a flash in person, but don't see it in the video, then you know it's a hardware problem. If you see the flash in the video too, then you can go to the frame where the flash is and see if it is a blank window, or something else.