Odd Serial ATA issue... BSD Name Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by millerb7, Jan 8, 2011.

1. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Okay, so I have a SSD in main drive and a HDD in optibay of my MBP. I was having that clicking of my HDD so I adjusted the hdapm to max, issue fixed no problems at all.... but that got me thinking, I started looking at my BSD names of my disks (example: disk0, disk1, disk2, etc).

My SSD was originally named disk1 and my HDD was disk0... so I set the .plist accordingly so the hdapm was run on startup... to my shock my disks have switched a few days back.

My SSD is now disk0 and my HDD is disk1.

Well today I checked again, my SSD is still disk0 but my HDD is disk2 now... so of course the .plist is not running hdapm on startup because the HDD keeps switching it's BSD name.

Anyways, common error? Something random? Anybody have any idea what's up?

2. mulo, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

Uhh i did some work a while back that prevented mounting certain partitons/drives at boot, so you had to do it manually. It involved identifying the disks with something I can't remember, but the end result was that the disks weren't mounted, no matter the BSD name....

My point is you might be able to use this to identify the disk, then run a script accordingly.
    I'll see If I can remember it..

edit, fixed typos, god I was tired

3. millerb7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is this something that is rather normal? Are the disk BSD names changed upon reboot?

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

5. millerb7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hah, you sir, are correct.

I totally forgot I have my home HDD partitioned into 2 partitions... one is my home drive the other is a clone of my SSD in case it was to fail... totally forgot about that.

So during boot my disk name is changing depending on which order those two disks mount apparently. I only restart about once a month so it's not that big of a deal to manually type in the hdapm when I do actually restart, but I'll def. take a look at that webpage... good find!