Odd serial number?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ben1969, Jul 24, 2010.

1. ben1969 macrumors member

I just bought a MBP 13 off of CL and was checking the serial # info -- W8029. Does this mean that the MBP I just bought was made this week (week 29)? I'm not sure how this would be possible...

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Yes, that is what it means. Was it brand new when you bought it?

3. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

I did check at appleserialnumberinfo.com, and the info I got suggests it was made within the last week, which seems odd to me for a MBP that someone was selling on CL already. The MBP seems fine and I have just registered it via AppleCare and everything seems legit, but the serial info just threw me off.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Was everything included? Box, power adapter, restore DVDs, cloth, ...? Does the serial number on the box match with the serial number of the Mac?

5. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it was new

Yes, it was brand new when I bought it (the seller was a friend of the owner and didn't know if it was a gift that couldn't be returned or what). Obviously, I'm hoping that the sale was legit. I did get ample contact info from the seller, just in case. Thanks for all who are replying.

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

As long as the box has the same serial number, I'd say it's legitimate. If you are worried, call AppleCare and get them to confirm the serial number on their system, where it was purchased from and when etc.

7. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

@spinnerlys

Yes, everything was included. The box was sealed, as were all items inside. The seller let me open it up and make sure it was authentic, booted up, etc. The serial # on the box matches the system profiler info.

Thanks -Ryan-

I'll give a call to AppleCare just to be sure. Didn't know you could do that.

8. mkelly2115 macrumors member

Calling apple care is pointless. They will most likely tell you nothing is wrong with it especially if it is that new, and if it is stolen, you will not find out that it was stolen until later like I did. I bought a 4 month old mbp 2.8ghz, called apple care- said it was fine, had a apple store look at it and run the serial number- said it was fine. I took it into Apple 2 months later to get the battery looked at- Confiscated. Told me it was stolen.

Sucks for me.. I'll never buy anything used again.

9. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

Yikes!

@mkelly2115 -- sorry to hear that. Did you have any recourse after it was confiscated?

10. mkelly2115 macrumors member

I am in the process of taking the guy who sold it to me to court. I did a lot of investigation on him by following him on a forum/tracking his other items for sale. And my father being a detective helped I believe speed up the process by making phone calls that apple in the beginning took weeks to make. I had a prelim hearing back in March, and court is actually on the 28th of July.. So I will see what happens in a few days. Just be careful, I thought that I took ever course to protect myself from this,and still got taken. I was in the situation where I had a HP and got it covered under the lemon policy, and being a student couldn't afford school expenses+ a new mbp so I went the used route, but wish I would of waited to maybe finance it... The mbp was taken on Valentines day, and I am just getting around to being able to afford a new one. Thing that really hit hard was all the work and info/pictures I lost.. I merged everything on the mac.. and a 18 page paper that was due 2 days after it was taken by apple.:(

I guess you live and you learn... hard enough to say that, but I hate paying retail for things, and figured I was getting a deal- and not paying taxes... but that extra money is worth the reassurance.

11. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Out of interest what country do you live in that a store can confiscate something from you? :eek:

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

mkelly2115, they didn't even give you your data?

13. mkelly2115 macrumors member

I live appx 30 minuets to Philadelphia PA. The computer was confiscated at the 14th street store in NYC.

Sorry OP- Not trying to thread-jack..

-Matthew

They gave me 2 chooses:

1- Leave and take nothing.
    2- Buy a portable hard drive and have them transfer...

I chose 2 (like anyone with the data I had).. And if I didn't escalate to the manger the Di*K "genus" bar assistant would of just told me to leave with the security.

And went back to my girlfriends apartment.. plugged it in to her macbook.. and there was a fraction of what was on there... Honestly only a few pictures and other worthless BS that I didn't need of course.

For some reason nothing transferred over.

-Matthew

14. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Op, think about this situation a bit. He's selling a brand spanking new still shrink swapped MacBook "for a friend" and doesn't know much about why his friend his selling it. Get real, you most likely bought a stolen laptop.

I wouldn't take it in to apple ever get looked at.

15. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks and weird Apple response

Thanks for all the info from all who have replied. The info I got from Apple over the phone was kind of strange. The phone agent told me that it had been purchased the day I bought it from the CL seller (maybe the Apple rep was confusing this with registering it, which I did that same day?). Also, when I asked the Apple rep what I should do, he told me that it was between me and the seller and that Apple had no interest in noting this in their AppleCare data bank and that Apple took no interest in actively trying to sort out legitimate and illegitimate sales. Basically, he told me that Apple wasn't interested in the info I had and if I was happy with the sale to simply move on. Weird, huh? I would think with their database he would want to put me in touch with the original buyer -- wouldn't they be able to connect both of us through the serial number (me from when I registered it via the Welcome program that I was walked through when setting up the MBP and the seller from the original purchase)?

16. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Probably not. First, Apple can't just hand out contact details for people other than yourself, and second, they quite possibly don't even have those contact details. If you still are not feeling right about it, see about getting a refund, but I don't see any reason for you to worry. Chances are if it's stolen, it would have to have been stolen immediately after purchase. I find that quite unlikely. Apple have confirmed that the serial exists, and so you should be happy with that. I think just move on. :)

17. ben1969 thread starter macrumors member

@ -Ryan-

Thanks, I'll do that (and just file away all the contact info I have with the seller should things go awry). In the meantime, I'm loving the new MBP -- quite a leap from the pre-unibody model I had.

18. mkelly2115 macrumors member

My .02 would be to save any and all emails, text messages, between you and the seller... I am very lucky I did (they were all in outlook) because that is what helped me build my case, and prove my side of the story. Without that, its your word against his. Not sure if you have an iphone, but I took screen shots too of our conversation and stored them with the emails.

I am actually very fortunate that I thought to do that, even though at the time I thought I was overly anal/paranoid about getting scammed.

Just trying to help protect yourself if something goes wrong!

Good Luck,

-Matthew :apple:

19. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

20. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yeah, how did your hearing go @ mkelly2115?

I'm just curious as to what Apple/ Law enforcement does with cases like this, as on ebay, craigslist, ECT, you don't know what is stolen or legitimate. It's quite scary actually, (At least to me) and I'm glad I always buy from Apple.com or in an Apple Store. Paying $200 extra or whatever, at least for me, is worth extra piece of mind.

And OP, if you're there, just curious, did the CL seller include the original recipt?

21. mkelly2115 macrumors member

Well I thought that the trail was supposed to be July 28th, I guess I was misinformed... That date was just to "put the case on the next trial list".. So my DA informed me the trial list will be at the end of August and then at that time I will receive a date for trial... Didn't think it takes that long to take some one to court for selling stolen property..

Off subject, a few members emailed me asking for updates and what not, so I am going to create a thread... I don't want to jack ben1969 anymore! Sorry for that! So look out for it.. and I will send a link to those who inquired.

Matthew :apple: