Odd short freezes in 10.5.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qua, Jan 31, 2009.

1. qua macrumors member

Against my custom I applied the 10.56 update from software update on my MacBook Pro (original model!!). Came out with constant freezing. Then managed to install full update file. No help. Managed to, after a number of tries, repair permissions, no help. Then threw away apple.systempreferences.plist and all major freezes disappeared. Now I have "quick freezes" of anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds every time I command delete a file to the trash. Wait and it goes away. Tried getting rid of desktop plist also, no help. Any ideas? This is all on a new install fixing the machine up for my daughter - not much at all on there yet.

2. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

Did you ever pause/stop/hold the update when you were downloading it? It might have caused a bad download, not sure what to do if it is that

3. punkeydoodles macrumors newbie

I can confirm this bug. It's shown up on 6 separate 10.5.6 upgrades on both MacBooks and MacBook Pros using both the +/- 300MB and +/- 600MB combo updaters. All installs succeeded. None were paused. None were interrupted.

10.5.6 is a nightmare to use. Apps freeze on a regular basis and these frozen apps won't stop/quit even using Force Quit. They just lock the OS up further each time.

These freezes most often happen when using the mouse to scroll or click. The only way to recover a hung app is to relaunch the finder and then the frozen app magically starts working again. It gets really really old doing this every few minutes.

It's an OS X bug for sure as the only solution is to Force Quit the Finder (or hit the power button). We've run Onyx and cleaned out all the system caches, etc. We've defragged and optimized drives and removed USB & Firewire drives. We've run Tech Tool. We've reinstalled 10.5.6 over but now I'm scratching my head. Also, we don't own any iPods or iPhones so that can be ruled out.

I'm now convinced it's connected to the USB bus because the mouse and trackpad both trigger the freeze (both are USB devices) as does connecting a USB audio device (but the freeze also shows up with the audio device disconnected).

4. julianbc macrumors newbie

^^^ That is exactly the same problem I am having right now. I've tried fsck, pram, permissions, ect, and nothing has worked so far. Has anyone found a possible solution for this yet? I would really like to avoid having to do a complete reinstall, especially since I've read about several people going that route with no luck fixing the problem.

5. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

If you disable everything in your startup items and login items does it still happen?