Odd Situation--- Will This Solution Work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gadgetfreaky, Apr 14, 2010.

1. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

So I ordered the base 17 model but the 5400 drive makes me unhappy. So I am looking at some upgrade options but I am not sure a SSD makes sense quite yet. BUt I don't want to lose the 7200 speed in my current MBP model which is a NOV 2007 MBP. Note I run bootcamp so my drive solutions are always a little whacky.

Here is my Solution.

As soon as I get the new MBP ---simply swap the two drives out for each other. Instant solution. Right?

The drivers will obviously need to change but just by hitting update--it should find them correctly right? I should not have to rerformat or doing any new whacky installs right?

The only complication I can think of is the hard drives on the late 2007s I think are a bit harder to take out.

What do you guys think?

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I haven't seen what the build number of OS X is on the new models, but provided that it is the same build of 10.6.3 that is available for general consumption, it should work. Make sure that all the updates that are available are installed before you swap the drives and it ought to work. Otherwise you can target-disk mode your old MacBook Pro and install OS X from your new MacBook Pro onto the old disk that way, and then swap the drives. Also do bear in mind that some newer 5400RPM drives are faster than older 7200RPM drives, so do a benchmark comparison before you swap them to be sure that you aren't actually downgrading.