Odd sleep vrs. Time Machine behavior

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Halcyon, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

With my Preferences settings set so that the monitor will go to sleep after 10 minutes and the computer set to go to sleep after 15 minutes (and the "Put the hard disk to sleep whenever possible" option checked), Time Machine would perform its scheduled backups with no problems at all. Also, I could wake my computer by either moving the mouse or pressing any key on the keyboard.

After a restart, now the computer goes to sleep and will only wake up by pressing a key on the keyboard and not when I move the mouse. Worst, Time Machine won't perform any backups until I wake up the computer.

What can have possibly triggered this change in behavior after just a restart, when nothing else has been tinkered with?

TIA

PD - For now, and so Time Machine can perform its backups, I have change the Energy Saver preference setting for the computer to never go to sleep...which I'm not pleased with.

2. madroadbiker macrumors newbie

madroadbiker

worse yet...

I just got through connecting a time machine to my linksys router in bridge mode. What I found blew my mind!. I set my wife's power book G4 to do the initial backup which takes way too long in my opinion and let it run over night. The next morning I checked it and to my surprise, the backup failed and why? because the computer went to sleep! So apparently I'm supposed to turn off the all power saving modes every hour so that the backups can be performed? What kind of dumb-ass system is that? And yes I do have the latest leopard software installed on all my computers.