Odd startup problem?

Corrado33

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2008
What do you mean the finder opens by itself? Do you mean you automatically log in? Or do you mean that a finder "window" opens by itself every time you start up?

iPhone3GHunt

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
The finder window opens everytime I turn on my computer.
So I login, my dock shows up and then the finder window pops up.

sgtbob

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Kansas
Startup requires Options Key

I'm not sure if this is a new problem or if it is a problem at all. When I shut my iMac down and restart, the screen is entirely white with no options showing. If I restart and hold the 'option' button down, I will be presented with the HDD icon and an arrow. Pressing the arrow allows the unit to start up to my desktop. Is this a normal operation?

Bob:confused:

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Tennessee
You should only hold down the option key during start-up if you want to boot in to your windows partition, if you have one. Otherwise don't press anything and during the start-up an apple should show on the screen and then boot in to OSX.

sgtbob

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Kansas
Startup requires Options Key

The screen never starts in OS-X unless I hold down the option key during the startup. That is what I perceive to be the problem. Solution?

Bob

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Tennessee
Go to your system preferences, then select start-up disk, and make sure Macintosh HD is the first disk listed. If it is, then I have no idea what else to try.

sgtbob

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Kansas
Thanks - I did as suggested - the HDD was the first item in the startup, but I highlighted it anyway. I restarted, waited quite a while and it started with the OS-x system. Thanks for the advice. It is now workign as I had hoped.

Bob

ant-macyourself

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
To repair disk permissions you need to open Disk Utility (search for it in Spotlight if you're not sure where it is), choose your hard drive in the list, and click the Repair Disk Permissions button. It will take a while to complete and you might see a bunch of lines of text - this is all normal. When it's done you can restart your computer and see if it fixed your problem.

Attachments

gMac

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2003
Charleston, SC
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if I close all open finder windows before shutting down, none open when I restart.

On the other hand, if I leave any open before shutting down, they pop back up after a restart.