Odd, sudden sleep occurrence w/ MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eshyn, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Eshyn macrumors member

Just a few minutes ago I was working on my MBP when I turned to speak to a colleague. In my peripheral vision I saw the screen go dark and figured it was just the screen saver starting up. When I turned back to the computer to resume working it seemed like it had gone into sleep mode as the screen was not blank. I noticed that the white LED on the front of the computer was solid and not 'breathing' like it does when it sleeps.

I pressed numerous keys and nothing seemed to wake the computer. Suddenly, for about a split second I saw my username and password prompt pop up on the screen and then quickly disappear and the screen went dark again. I kept trying to wake the system up by pressing keys and when it finally did the username and password prompt were visible but at the top of the screen with the upper portion of the menu box cut off by the actual top of the display (I could only see the Ok and Cancel buttons).

A hard reboot brought the computer back to life.

Does anyone have an idea of what might have caused this? I can't sit here working worried that my computer is going to do that again. I'm praying it's not a logic board issue.

Thanks.

EDIT: Found this thread which seems to skirt a similar issue. One poster claims it was an issue with the battery connectors and once replaced the issue ceased. I don't see how this would apply to me though as my computer was plugged in when this took place. Any ideas?

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It could be a random graphics card error/crash. At least yours still worked after you rebooted because that sounds a bit like what happened when my MBP dies the day after I got it.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.

3. Eshyn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input.