Odd text scrolling wavy effect in mid 2010 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BettBee, Apr 17, 2010.

1. BettBee macrumors member

So when I scroll pages of text, there is a very disturbing shift in the text as it passes certain areas of the screen. I notice it from about the middle to the top third. It's a bit disturbing, and I'm wondering what it is and whether it's a defect that I should have looked at.

My old 13" MB had no such problem.

Can anyone tell me if this is a known problem, if all of them do it, or what's going on?

Thanks!

:confused:

2. ttran88 macrumors regular

it might have something to do with the inertial scrolling.

3. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Is it as the text is moving? Or is it when it is still?

Please take a picture and/or screenshot of this problem.

4. BettBee thread starter macrumors member

It happens when I am scrolling. So it is when the text is moving. Occasionally it'll happen with an image, but more often text. It looks as if the text is passing under glass that has thicker and thinner areas running evenly across it, creating a wavy effect. Almost like it gets magnified a little and then returns to normal. Some other things don't seem to be distorted. Horizontal lines on a web page are, vertical lines are not.

I would be surprised if this was something similar to a moire effect and it wasn't well documented, unless this kind of display is super-new.

I'll try to get a video screen shot of it, but not sure whether it would show the problem. If the problem is the display, and the screen shot software grabs only the data on its way to the display, it would not. Does anyone know?

Also, does one attach a video here, or upload it somewhere else?

5. M1K3YY macrumors newbie

6. BettBee thread starter macrumors member

???

7. Arrandale macrumors regular

I know the rippling effect you're talking about. It's what happens when you mix inertial scrolling with smooth scrolling. Turn either one of those effects off and you'll notice the problem diminishes greatly. Also, you'll also notice it is most observable as the scroll slows to a stop. If you open a tall/long page and flick firmly, it'll sail smoothly until the last second or so as it halts, when the ripple effect occurs.

It's not an issue with your machine, it's just that the algorithm Apple implements isn't completely polished yet. I wouldn't worry about it.