odd things about our new mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sno1man, Nov 1, 2011.

1. sno1man macrumors regular

So we bought another of the new mbp (late 2011) 17 inch models from the local apple store

Setting it up a couple of things were off about it. The first was that the dvd drive region was set to 6 (china). We were able to change it to 1 (US) but now it's only got three changes left (isn't the default 5?)

After that we noticed that the box had been re-taped.

Now to counter that, the plastic sheet with the eula on it was intact. Additionally the battery only showed one cycle on it.

So aside from the dvd region thing, which isn't likely an issue anyway, should I be concerned?

I'm not one of those OC types that it has to be perfect, but i do expect to get a factory fresh unit for paying full price and I'm not certain I got that here.

Thoughts?

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If it isn't too far, I'd exchange it at the Apple store and explain the reasons why.

[EDIT] I'd be inclined to open the new one at the store to check for the same thing.

3. jdsingle macrumors regular

Agreed.

4. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

After reading this I got somewhat concerned and went to check my own 17" MBP that I got the other day from the store. I got the 2.5 GHz version. I put in a DVD and sure enough it told me that it was set to region 6 and that I would need to change it to 1 in order to play the movie. However mine noted that I would have 4 more changes left after and so I assume that it was some sort of error on the part of the manufacturer on the Superdrives and that they were flashed with firmware for region 6. I've had this happen with other computers too.

After thinking about it I'm not going to bother to go in and exchange it. When I opened the box I didn't see any signs of it having been opened prior. It still had the seal across the top of the box and while once corner of the box was slightly damaged I thought that this could have easily happened during transport from China to the store. And inside the MBP was still in the plastic wrapping with the little sticker across the front so I just can't imagine that it was open box (or maybe I just don't want to :eek:). Battery cycle number was also at 1.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anybody else had the same thing with the DVD region? The only other thing is that when I checked the serial number on Apple's website it said that the Applecare would expire the day before I bought it (Oct 28, I bought it on the 29th). Is that normal?

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If the EULA tight plastic wrap around the laptop itself was still intact, I'd let it pass, but I would call the store and ask why the box was retaped. I know in the past, stores would open boxes when new software was out, but with Lion and no recovery discs, I'm unclear why the store would need to open the box.

6. sno1man thread starter macrumors regular

so i went back to the apple store

I went in to the store to explain my issue and concern. The genius thought it was odd that it had been retaped as well and agreed to swap it out.

The first one they brought out was in the same shape, with a retaped lid and the dvd region set to 6

The second one looked fine on the box, but when we booted it up to transfer the files from the old machine, this new one would not boot......

So the only one they had left was a 2.5 GHZ with antiglare and 7200 rpm drive. I ended up swapping for that one since the manager agreed to only charge me $50 difference between what I paid...

I'm overall happy with their new system, but now a little unnerved by my apple store experience