odd top toolbar occurence

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

this is the first time I saw this, when I started up my mac, I see all the icons along the top, time,battery, etc, but they do not have the highlighted bar through them, I have it set to a translucent setting. But when I opened finder, it went right back to normal instantly. I even shut down & restarted the mac to be sure, & all was normal/OK.

Is this serious? do I need to be concerned? I have been doing graphics stuff, encoding .mov files to mpg2 in roxio toast. while doing video encoding I notice n up in the top toolbar, for the video card being used. I have gfx card status installed. Do I need an update? I am running 10.6.3. I have had the mac since mid June 2010, & it runs good.

I hope this does not mean my graphics card is failing, I live quite away from an apple store.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That "toolbar" is called the Menu Bar as far as I know.
    The random, but not frequent (less than daily), disappearance of the Menu Bar is "normal", a minor hiccup in the system, but you don't need to be concerned about it. It happens on my Macs occasionally while switching from a full screen application or one that is capable of doing it, but changing to another application via clicking or Exposé or CMD+TAB and then switching back often (99%) remedies that "problem". A restart is not required.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 is out, but as far as I have read, it created some problems with newer Macs and their graphic cards. If you don't experience any other issues, you might stay with 10.6.3 for a while further.

Also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the reply, that is a relief to know. What does anybody think to 10.6.5?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys