Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leon88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I have an odd trackpad issue on my new M1 MacBook Pro. The top edge of my trackpad isn't responsive to taps after pressing a modifier key on the keyboard. For example, if I wanted to open a link in a new tab in Safari, I'd hold Command + tap click over the link. If I tapped anywhere on the top of my trackpad (area closer to the keyboard), it won't register my tap and nothing happens. Command + tap anywhere else on the trackpad works fine though, and I can open links in a new tab. I'd like to point out that the trackpad only becomes unresponsive immediately AFTER pressing a key. If I held down Command + Force Click, it works fine. Anyone else have such an issue? I'm wondering if this is a hardware fault or maybe a bug?

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Yes. Absolutely fine. I command click on most links to open them in background tabs.

Leon88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Update on the trackpad issue. Just spoke to Apple tech support and we tried to troubleshoot the problem to no avail. Tried booting into Safe Mode and did a hardware reset upon startup but the issue persists. Tech support thinks its a hardware issue and agreed to replace my unit through the mail. I'll update this post once I receive the replacement.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Update on the trackpad issue. Just spoke to Apple tech support and we tried to troubleshoot the problem to no avail. Tried booting into Safe Mode and did a hardware reset upon startup but the issue persists. Tech support thinks its a hardware issue and agreed to replace my unit through the mail. I'll update this post once I receive the replacement.
Ask for Express Replacement (if you have AC+). Apple will overnight a new M1 to you and you send the problem M12 back within 10 days. A temp charge for the new m1 is placed on your card until Apple receives the probers M1.

Leon88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Ask for Express Replacement (if you have AC+). Apple will overnight a new M1 to you and you send the problem M12 back within 10 days. A temp charge for the new m1 is placed on your card until Apple receives the probers M1.
Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately I do not have AC+. Another issue is that my model is a CTO 16GB 512GB and it isn't immediately in stock. Sales quoted me an ETA of Jan 21, which is honestly very painful because its my main workhorse

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately I do not have AC+. Another issue is that my model is a CTO 16GB 512GB and it isn't immediately in stock. Sales quoted me an ETA of Jan 21, which is honestly very painful because its my main workhorse
Tough position to be in. Sounds like Sales is correct on the ETA. Maybe you will get lucky and get it a few days sooner.

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I have the same issue on my MacBook Air M1, except its in the lower right. Which unfortunately is exactly where I click with my right thumb.

It must be a software issue since, as you mention, it only happens when a modifier key is pressed.

Leon88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Just wanted to post an update: My replacement M1 arrived and guess what? It has the exact same issue. Because it’s an identical issue between both machines, I conclude that it’s an intended behavior thats probably related to palm rejection. What’s frustrating is when I first called up Apple, they told me I had a hardware issue and the machine should be replaced. I wasn’t able to properly work for a week because of the whole return process. If only they just tested out what I said on another M1 MacBook, that could have saved us both a lot of time and hassle.

Leon88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I have the same issue on my MacBook Air M1, except its in the lower right. Which unfortunately is exactly where I click with my right thumb.

It must be a software issue since, as you mention, it only happens when a modifier key is pressed.
You’re good. I’m pretty sure it’s normal and intended. Just curious that I never experienced that on my old 2017 15”

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Noticed something similar on my M1 MBAir. Taps don't register on the trackpad within 1/2" of any edge. Anywhere else is fine, and click/force click works everywhere.

Leon88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Noticed something similar on my M1 MBAir. Taps don't register on the trackpad within 1/2" of any edge. Anywhere else is fine, and click/force click works everywhere.
Just curious whether this is an M1-specific issue or also affects the Intel MacBooks. Sadly I already traded in my 15" 2017 MBP so can't test that out.

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
I've just tested this on my 2020 Intel Air, and it too won't open links if I tap on the edges of the trackpad whilst holding command. But it will if I click / force click. Seems more of a software problem than a hardware one at this rate.

Reactions: Leon88

CrunchyBagel

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2018
Adelaide, Australia
I get this issue on MBA, also in bottom right hand corner.

It occurs maybe 50% of the time.

Either while holding control, or I have another finger touching the trackpad.

Click immediately works again when key/other finger is lifted.

Reactions: jozero

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I've just tested this on my 2020 Intel Air, and it too won't open links if I tap on the edges of the trackpad whilst holding command. But it will if I click / force click. Seems more of a software problem than a hardware one at this rate.
Agreed. It makes no sense. You can click on the edge of the trackpad if no modifier key is down, but can't if you hold a random key down? How would that help with unintentional clicks?

Darkness19

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2021
Do you still have this issue?
I have the exact same problem with my MacBook Air M1.
It's like a delay for clicking and "swiping" the Trackpad.

Do you think they will fix that soon?

Leon88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Do you still have this issue?
I have the exact same problem with my MacBook Air M1.
It's like a delay for clicking and "swiping" the Trackpad.

Do you think they will fix that soon?
Yeah the issue is still there. I've just checked with friends and colleagues who also own M1 MacBooks and they too have a similar issue. Don't worry, I think its a software related bug that hopefully gets fixed. I think one of the reasons why I hadn't noticed on my old 15" 2017 MBP is because it has a considerably larger trackpad and my fingers don't drift to the edges that often.

Reactions: jozero

fuermosi777

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2021
I have the exact issue, tried reboot and resetting SMC, still not working. I also have a Macbook 16" 2019 Intel and it works flawlessly.

SeanF66

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
Similar but a different issue in that my 2019 MBA's trackpad will no longer click. At all. any thoughts?

Jack Nguyen

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2021
1634231096614.png

Choose No Action on Caps Lock and Globe Key, it's be solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.