Odd Update!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rory Manton, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Rory Manton macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Just done a software update check and a "supplemental update for OSX came up as ready. So I did the update but its done something odd.

I have 4 desktops each with its own background, 2 have remained the same but the other 2 have changed to a photo of a galaxy. Its never done this before and now I am worried that it might not have been a genuine update and I have done something dafter than usual.

I have posted recently about StifleStand sticking on my desk top and being unable to remove it

Could these 2 things be related?

Have I compromised my mac?

How stupid am I?

Thanks in advance.

Rory

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I don't remember if I ran the supplemental update or not. In any event, wallpaper is a trivial thing that is easy enough to put back.

Compromise? Not by getting updates through the app store (on ML) or on Software Update (on Lion and previous).

Stupid? Users are (almost) never stupid. Software developers that cause confusion are stupid.

3. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Thanks for the reply.

I have just installed Mountain Lion, which is odd because I thought I did that a few days after it came out. I have installed the supplemental ( I read it properly this time!) and I am now updating iPhoto.

Even the troublesome icon has vanished!:D

I think all is well.