Odd USB 3.0 behaviour with hubs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Moriarty, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Moriarty macrumors 6502

My Retina Macbook Pro's behaviour with USB 3 devices is a bit confusing... I'm not sure if there's a software glitch, if something is wrong with my USB 3 hub, or if it's normal...

So usually I have both USB 2 and USB 3 devices plugged into the ports on my 4-port USB 3 hub (all four ports are USB 3 on this hub). But if I restart my computer, any USB 3 devices revert back to USB 2 speed! :mad:

Turns out that I must unplug any USB 2 devices, and only have USB 3 devices connected to the hub at first. Once the USB 3 hard drive is mounted, I can then plug USB 2 devices into the hub and everything is still at the proper speed.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I just want my USB 3 devices to run at 3.0 speed when they're plugged into a 3.0 port. No hassles about plugging everything in in the right order! Thanks!

2. Yawn66 macrumors member

This sounds very similar to a problem I was observing with USB 3 devices connected to USB 3 hubs with my 2012 11" MBA.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1399179

In my case it definitely looked like a bug in Apple's USB 3 drivers. Maybe the updated released yesterday has helped?

3. jeeve macrumors newbie

I've been having the exact-same issues and I found the solution:

Use the 1st USB port for nothing but USB 3 Hubs and USB3 devices. IMPORTANT: the USB 3 hub(s) have to be USB 3 ONLY - NO USB 2 & 3 ports COMBINATION!

Use the 2nd USB port for nothing but USB 2 Hubs and USB2 devices.

Keeping them COMPLETELY separate works for me.

4. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

5. Yawn66 macrumors member

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Odd.

I have no issues with my USB3.0 or my USB3.0 Hub by IOGEAR. Maybe its the hub?