Odd video glitch in Safari (pic and video)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GhostMac24, Aug 30, 2011.

1. GhostMac24, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

I am experiencing an odd video glitch in Safari. Here is the situation.........

I open up Safari, top sites is loaded, I select a website to go to. Then, when I am done with the current site, I select the top sites icon to go back to the top sites page to select another website to visit. When I do that I get this odd video glitch.

The iMac (2.7 i5 27") is a little over a month old. Bought at Apple store after Lion came out but have not installed Lion (I have downloaded it though onto a USB drive). Safari is 5.1 and OSX is 10.6.8

I have attached a still of the glitch. I am not sure how to upload a 4 second short video.

Here is the LINK to the video to see the glitch take place.

Any idea what this is, how to fix, etc? Thanks for any replies in advance!

Attached Files:

2. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Found a few more videos on Youtube that seem to be very similar to what I am describing.

LINK 1
    LINK 2

Neither of the videos have an answer to what is the cause.

Not sure if this helps but under system profiler it states my video is: AMD Radeon HD 6770M

If anybody has experienced this and more importantly if anybody has an explanation what is causing this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again!

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Test this for me: Download and install VLC (http://www.videolan.org/), play a video in VLC, then toggle full-screen (Command-F). I'll bet you get the video glitch there, too.

From what I can tell, it looks like Apple isn't initializing some of the video memory used (or, more accurately, reused), causing this glitch to appear. I see the same glitch on my Core i7 Hackintosh with an NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ running Lion 10.7.1. I did NOT see it on this computer with 10.6.8.

4. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Tried it with s a few different vids in VLC and didn't get the glitch to replicate. I'm stumped on this one. I will probably just move to Firefox so I don't have to see it anymore. I hate to do that as I really like the Top Sites feature.