Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larrymacdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Years ago while working for Apple, marketing tried to improve employees knowledge of products through a program called Apple Product Professional.

One of the "awards" was a watch.

After we "earned" our award, a small number of us were asked to return this defective watch. It is NOT the upside down airplane, but it is way cool. Never worn.

Thinking of selling. Ideas on price. watch.JPG

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Difficult to say really. It's a bit odd having the Apple logo the wrong way round.
They used to have watches than ran backwards for the Think Different campaign, but the reversal of the logo is a big brand guideline no! :eek:

Anywhere between $50 and $100 I would guess. Nice item though.

larrymacdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
It is a manufacturing error.

Apple is VERY careful about brand and logo. I will get the manufacturer and serial number tonight.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
If you have some actual provenance of its origin (a letter that came with it, an email asking you to return it, etc,) the value would go up significantly. Otherwise, someone could claim it was just a cheap knockoff that was made wrong.

But if you DO find 'backup' for what it is - I would say it could sell for $500, easy. (Rough guess, of course.)

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Not only is the Apple backward, the stem has a flat spot and is attached.

The kind of hokey crud that would be on a knockoff item.

Though I do recall the Product Professional campaign, too.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Not only is the Apple backward, the stem has a flat spot and is attached.

The kind of hokey crud that would be on a knockoff item.

Though I do recall the Product Professional campaign, too.

Good Spot!

Has to be a fake then. I have a lot of Apple Watches and looking at them the logos are very accurate, this one doesn't have the registered either, so I guess not an official Apple product!

4820243713_4db63b1546_o.jpg

4820243913_96c61201e5_o.jpg

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
It is a manufacturing error.

Apple is VERY careful about brand and logo. I will get the manufacturer and serial number tonight.

If it's REALLY from Apple this would be worth a LOT more than $500, just like stamp issues with inverted images when compared to regular ones...perhaps something upwards of $5000.

Obviously if it's just a fake it's worth nothing.

larrymacdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Thanks for the insight. I do want to stress that I was working at the time for an Apple Sales agent called SchoolVision. The company has long since closed down. Keep in mind that the program Apple Product Professional was running in 1997. Not a stellar time for Apple. Before iPods, iPads, heck even iMacs.
Since I received the watch, I have a story to tell. I may place it in a shadow box and hang it on a wall. It reminds me that even a company like Apple, who in 1997 was days away from closing its doors could still miss a critical detail like brand identification.
We can all make mistakes but still come out on top. Remember the Pippin, the eMate, shoot the Mac TV.
I truly have a one of a kind Apple collectible.
Definitely makes me think different. But also makes me also check my work!

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
The Apple "Product Professional" thing carries on, too. Though these days it's a pin and certificate that is awarded for various accomplishments in the sales stream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.