Odd width error

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by yagran, Jul 5, 2007.

1. yagran macrumors 6502a

OK so i was mucking about and i found that if you put the mac rumors homepage on a gig width the red article headers randomly stop stretching. see attached screen shot, its not a big deal because no body really browses at that size but i thought i may as well point it out.

Attached Files:

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think this might have been pointed out before...but as you said it's really odd to browse at that width...on my 1680x1050 20" I never have the window at more than maybe 1200 wide. Maybe for someone on a 30" it might be more noticeable?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I browse at that width on the 24" Dell but it really doesn't bother me. It happens in Safari and Internet Explorer as far as I've noticed.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks for pointing this out. It's not a critical problem, of course, but some of us are perfectionists so we'd like to see it fixed.

I've seen lots of websites designed for only a single optimal width. The trends for business sites seem to be in that direction, and I've been dragging my feet because I prefer sites that scale beautifully to any width.

Even sites that stretch often have maximum "good" sizes, but perhaps we can avoid being one of them.

5. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I stretched my window on my 20" iMac (1680x1050) and I could see it in Safari for about 2 inches.

6. yagran thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks doctor. im glad its not just me thats a perfectionist. its not the kind of thing im going to loose sleep over but seing it fixed would make my days brighter :)

who has say over fixing this? is it Arns job?

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A number of people have contributed to the implementation, but it's up to arn whether or not to make proposed changes.