Odd Wireless Drop-off with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EricD2001, Aug 29, 2010.

1. EricD2001 macrumors newbie

I'm running OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on the most mature version of the non-unibody MBP line (In other words, the one right before the Unibody came out).

I've looked and looked for someone with a similar issue, but mine seems to be different than the ones I've been finding. Most seem to "not connect" or "get good signal" whatever the case may be. For me I have a full strong signal, but when using my wireless, it seems like there's a "bottleneck" effect with data as it's coming in. Let me describe in an example for clarification.

When browsing the internet in general, the wireless works great; however, once I watch an HD video on Vimeo or even a normal Youtube video (Heck even large blog posts that have multiple images), it seems like my wireless gets crammed with too much information too fast and just quits on me. My wireless signal strength Does NOT change, the internet just doesn't work. I don't typically get this issue when going to starbucks or any public wifi hotspots. So it may be possible that the problem lies in my router, but everyone else that comes in and uses my wifi, never has the same issue as me. So I'm thinking it's a joint issue? I have a Linksys Router (E-1000 router? Looks like the one illustrated here: http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Ro...VproductId97826160VVcatId551966VVviewprod.htm)

I've had this issue for a while now and have been working around it by simply pluggin in my CAT5 cable. Any help would be appreciated!! Trying to avoid buying a new router if possible.

2. EricD2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've actually solved the issue. I upgraded my firmware on my router and the problem (so far) has not reoccurred. If anything changes I'll update this post.

On a side note, I did some deeper digging and Many Many other people have had this issue, but many didn't have their problem resolved by doing what I did.

Some people changed their broadcast channel to a different number and it helped them. This didn't help me, but the firmware update did the trick.

Similar problem with a variety of sources causing the issue. Very strange. Hope this post helps people in a similar situation. :apple: